One of the core human needs is the need for connection, yet there are a wide variety of ways in which that connection appears in each person’s life. Here are some examples:
- Some people come from large families and family members are each other’s best friends -whereas other people disconnect from their families or are even disowned.
- There are individuals who walk into a room and everyone is their best friend – and others who struggle to find meaningful connection with even one person.
- Sometimes people grew up in circumstances where connection with people was unsafe – and they find ways to connect with places and objects to fill in the emotional gap.
In some instances, we go through cycles of connection that align with the well-known saying “people are in our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime”. They can range from:
- People we see every day when we are going to school or working in a job and who leave our lives once those experiences are complete.
- Circumstances that bring us together with a person at a conference or workshop, and they leave a lasting impression based on our brief encounter.
- Life transitions that may cause people to lose their sense of connection to a particular group of people and create a connection with a new group of people (moving out of state, change of housing).
In other situations, we may not fully understand the importance of particular connections until later in our lives.
- We get caught up in our jobs and the busyness of our lives, and lack the time to stay in contact with certain people.
- People under-estimate the influence of their ancestors, their lineage and may even disconnect from one part of their family.
- Circumstances that created negative connections may overshadow the experience or make us forget the positive connections that also took place in the same circumstance.
Take a moment to consider the ways in which you connect with others. Are there people or communities you’ve lost touch with despite their importance in your life?
If you are feeling disconnected from yourself, family and friends or the positive circumstances of your life, consider contacting me for a complimentary coaching session.
© 2020 Systems of Change, LLC